Praying together is a great privilege that each of God’s children is invited to enjoy. Far too often I have neglected the privilege of praying together with my brothers and sisters in Christ and reaped the unfortunate consequences. Because of this I am glad when I come across reminders of the benefits of praying together like the writing of David Mathis in his excellent book, Habits of Grace. The headings below are his words, with my comments underneath.
Nine Profits of Praying with Company
- For Added Power – In Matthew 18:19 we learn that anything we ask for in prayer is easier to receive when we come into agreement together.
- For Multiplied Joy – Personal prayer is a joy God offers us. This joy, like so many others, is multiplied when it is shared with others.
- For Greater Glory to God – As Mathis writes, “Our multiplied joy in God then makes for multiplied glory to God. … Praying together not only adds power to the request, but also means more glory for the giver when he answers.”
- For Fruitful Ministry and Mission – According to the example of the apostle Paul, our service of our Saviour will be more effective when we join together in prayer. Consider how many times Paul invited churches to join him in prayer for the effectiveness of his work – Romans 15:30-32; 2 Corinthians 1:11; Ephesians 6:18-20; Colossians 4:3-4; Colossians 4:3-4; 2 Thessalonians 3:1.
- For Unity Among Believers – Unity among the family of believers is both a cause and an effect of praying together.
- For Answers We Wouldn’t Otherwise Get – We are dependent by design. God created us to need him and one another. James 5:14-16 shows us that there are certain prayers that will only be answered when we pray together.
- To Learn and Grow in our Prayers – One of the best ways to learn how to pray is by joining in with others who know how to pray.
- To Know Each Other – To pray effectively we have to stop pretending and really be ourselves. Because of this, we get to know the people we pray with on a more profound level than others.
- To Know Jesus More – The greatest benefit of praying together is that it will help us to know Jesus better. “By praying with friends, you will be able to hear and see facets of Jesus you have not yet perceived.” – Tim Keller
In light of all of this, praying together with others is a practice I intend to prioritize in the coming seasons.
Leave a Reply